It’s Easter in less than 2 weeks. Next week is Holy Week or Passion Week, starting with Palm Sunday & going through to Easter. Many churches will celebrate Maundy Thursday and Good Friday before services for Easter Sunday. So how can you celebrate or what activities can you do as a family? This post which is for the letter ‘H” for the Blogging from A to Z Challenge will give you some Holy Week and Easter Family ideas.
Palm Sunday Ideas
- Palm Sunday Craft with handprint palms & footprint donkey
- Palm Sunday Playdough Mat
- Make Palm Crosses – pictorial instructions or watch the video below
Holy Week Ideas
- Holy Week Explained – Some questions and answers about Holy Week
- Celebrating Jesus Week – Some ideas for celebrating Holy week as a family.
- Easter All Week – print out a little booklet with simple pictures to colour
- Holy week in a box – Symbols & part of the story for each day
- Holy Week Activities for Kids
- Holy Week Trail – scroll down to see the idea
- Holy Week in Handprints – a different idea for each day, use some or all of them.
- Homemade Resurrection Eggs – Fill plastic eggs with a different symbol in each to help tell the Easter story.
- Make a Holy Week Banner
- Road to Easter Activity Sheet to print, cut-out and complete
- A Messianic Passover Seder for Families with Young Children – A meal to share together, adapt to suit your family.
- Decorate a special last supper cup
- Last Supper Easy Flat Bread Recipe
- Wonder Bread
- Last Supper Playdough Mat
- Gethsemane Playdough Mat
Good Friday Ideas
- 15 Hands-On Cross Activities for Kids
- Chocolate Crown of Thorns – made with melted chocolate & pretzel sticks
- Crown of Thorns Bread – bread braid in a ring with toothpicks
- Hot Cross Buns or these Gluten & Dairy Free Hot Cross Buns
- Hot Cross Bun Multi-sensory prayer – use these prayer ideas as you enjoy eating hot cross buns.
- Make a Good Friday Cross using wool, tinfoil, and markers – reflect on the crucifixion accounts as you go.
- Symbolic Lunch for Good Friday – Each food item is symbolic to the Easter story & has scripture to go with it.
- Talking about the Cross with Young Children
- Good Friday Playdough Mat
- Easter Story Cookies (Resurrection Cookies)- This is something that we made as a family on Easter Saturday night for a number of years. Also gluten and dairy free.
- Printable Easter Finger Puzzles
- A Sense of the Resurrection: An Easter Experience for Families – Buy this downloadable book with a 12 fun, easy, hands-on, meaningful activities to help experience the Easter story.
- Build a Lego Resurrection Garden
- Easter Egg Prayers – using a hollow chocolate egg
- 2 Easter Playdough Mats – In the tomb & He is Risen
- Empty Tomb Biscuits – For a gluten free version use a GF biscuit, ice with green icing using pure icing sugar, stick on a GF choc biscuit on its side on the edge of the other biscuit and add a GF marshmallow in front.
- Resurrection Story Napkin Rings – Print off & make these napkin rings. Each ring has a piece of the resurrection story to be read in order by guests.
What are you going to do to celebrate Holy Week and Easter?