Who We Are
We are Jesus followers
We are compelled by the movement of Jesus Christ and invite others to explore their own faith journey toward him.
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” – John 14:6
We are advocates
We are passionate proponents for the value of motherhood and the influence of women.
Open your mouth for the mute, for the rights of all the unfortunate. Open your mouth, judge righteously, and defend the rights of the afflicted and needy. – Proverbs 31:8-9
This doesn’t mean we engage in political agendas. It means we are here to cheer on every mum, to remind her she matters, that she’s influential. We are here to let her know we love and care about her and so does God.
We are Kingdom enthusiasts
We believe in God’s redemptive work in the world, which encourages us to be playful in spirit, generous at heart and faith-filled in confession.
But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. – Matthew 6:33 (ESV)
We are expansive
Every mum has a place with us. We uphold a boldness of inclusion because we know there is room for a vast collage of women who thirst for Jesus.
The Spirit and the Bride say, “Come.” And let the one who hears say, “Come.” And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who desires take the water of life without price. – Revelation 22:17 (ESV)
We strive to be a place where every mum belongs. The common thread of motherhood supersedes differences in race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status and even religion. Jesus calls us to bring his daughters home, every last one. He loves them desperately and so do we.
We are known by what we are for
We look to Jesus’ footsteps for how to walk through the world, which allows us to be radically gracious in expression and association.
“Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.” This is the great and foremost commandment. The second is like it, “You shall love your neighbour as yourself.” On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.” – Matthew 22:36-40
We are for mums, we are for Jesus and we are for the church.
We are multilingual
We lead communication of a timeless message to a culture of many voices, dialects and backgrounds.
I have become all things to all men, so that I may by all means save some. I do all things for the sake of the Gospel, so that I may become a fellow partaker of it. – 1 Corinthians 9:22
We meet people where they are and speak to their felt needs.
We are sisterhood cultivators
We build circles of women who love each other like family, because we believe in the transformative potential of relationships and mentoring.
And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another – and all the more as you see the Day approaching. – Hebrews 10:25
Every MOPS mum has a story of how MOPS changed her life but, in most cases, it wasn’t actually ‘MOPS’ that changed her. It was a sisterhood of women who rallied around her when she needed it most – women who loved her, invested in her and told her of the life-changing love of Jesus. Women are knit together through MOPS. We provide a safe place for them to love and challenge each other and even save each other’s lives through the power of sisterhood.
Background and introduction
MOPS Australia, is a Christian, non-profit organisation that works with local Christian churches to establish MOPS groups in their communities. MOPS groups are chartered in churches of many different denominations and Christian traditions, but all share the common desire to reach out with the Gospel of Jesus Christ and to bring glory to God in everything.
Churches and individual MOPS ministry leaders must embrace and agree on the basic, orthodox truths of the Christian faith and the essential issues of salvation. We believe the Bible is the foundation for these truths. It is God’s Word, uniquely and fully inspired by the Holy Spirit, and is authoritative on all matters on which it speaks. MOPS is committed to telling the truth of the saving work of Jesus Christ, of God’s grace to mankind, of the reality of the Trinity, and the role of the Church in God’s plan for the world. These foundational Christian beliefs are reflected in many of the historic church creeds.
By agreeing with this statement, a chartering church is affirming that they too believe in and teach the foundational truths of the Christian Gospel. Because these beliefs are foundational to the ministry of MOPS, Mothers of Preschoolers (MOPS) Australia reserves the right to have final authority on the granting of Charters.
- We believe there is one God eternally existing in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit (John 14: 16-17, Matthew 28:19). We believe Jesus Christ was begotten by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, and is true God and true man (Matthew 1:18 & 23).
- We believe the Bible is the foundation for these truths. It is God’s Word, uniquely and fully inspired by the Holy Spirit, and is authoritative on all matters on which it speaks. (2 Peter 1:20-21, 2 Timothy 3:16-17)
- We believe Jesus came into this world to redeem us by offering himself as the substitutionary sacrifice for our sins; he died for us; and he demonstrated his victory over sin and death by physically rising from the dead and ascending to heaven. (Romans 5:8-9, Romans 6:23, 1 Corinthians 15:1-4)
- We believe the result of this saving work of Christ is that salvation is by grace through faith in Jesus Christ (Ephesians 2:8-9, Galatians 2:16).
- We further believe that the fulfilment of God’s plan of redemption will begin with the visible personal return of Christ to judge the world and separate believers and unbelievers forever, and will culminate in a new creation. (Acts 1:11, 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17, Acts 24:15, Revelation 20:15, Romans 6:23).
- We believe that God chooses to work through the believers in his church and that we are called to evangelism and discipling of believers within the fellowship of the church. (Matthew 28:19-20, 1 Peter 2:9)
Photo: Aaron Burden