Dates are a great way to add fun and excitement to your marriage, but once you have kids, the expense can create a barrier to doing this as often as you might like. Not only do you have all the expenses that come with children, you also then have to pay for babysitting in addition to the cost of the actual date. But theres no rule saying a date requires spending lots of money, or even leaving your house. With a little creativity, there are many inexpensive date ideas to be enjoyed.
Why date your husband?
You might be thinking that dates were a part of the season of life before kids and marriage, and that dates don’t need to be happening now. And this is true – you don’t have to go on dates!
But there are plenty of benefits to continuing to ‘date’ your spouse:
- Spending quality time together
- Growing your friendship
- Allowing space for intimacy to thrive
- Having a good conversation
- Having fun together and making memories
It does take a little more effort to make dates happen after kids, but I think it’s worth it! Think of it as an investment in your marriage.
At Home Dates
These are dates you can do together at home without the need to get a babysitter. When you think creatively and approach the time with a fun, light-hearted attitude, doing any activity with your husband could be considered a date! Here are some ideas for dating at home:
- Watch a movie or TV show
- Declutter a room of the house together
- Pretend to be on Masterchef, have a cook-off and judge each other’s creations
- Make a new recipe together
- Lie outside on the grass and look at the stars
- Have a backyard fire with toasted marshmallows and wine
- Read a book together
- Have picnic on the lounge-room floor
- Play a board game
- Build some Ikea furniture
Out of Home Date ideas
Okay, so you’ve got some child-free time, but still not a lot of cash to splash. There are lots of things you can do for little or no money. Here are some cheap date ideas for when you can get out of the house together:
- Go for a bike ride together
- Walk along a river
- Climb a hill or a mountain
- Explore the streets of a new suburb
- Explore an abandoned building
- Have a picnic in a local park
- Climb some trees
- Serve together at a church event
- Attend a free talk or seminar
- Go to a live music event
- Try an Op shop date – choose an outfit for each other at an Op shop, then wear the outfits on your date
- Pretend it’s your first date
Maybe you’re all good on the date ideas front, but you find yourself sitting face-to-face with the love of your life, and… all you can think of to talk about is the baby’s nap schedule.
Good conversation takes effort. Don’t be worried if it’s not coming naturally. It’s not a reflection on your relationship, it just means you’re probably out of practice!
Below is a list of ideas for conversation starters you can use on your date. Memorise one or two of them, and you can use them to spark a conversation if nothing else is coming to mind. I mean, don’t be weird about it – act natural, guys! But it will help if you have something interesting to talk about stored away if need it.
- Remember when… (and reminisce about a time when you were dating or newly married)
- I really appreciate… (tell him something you appreciate about his character or recent actions)
- I’d love to… (share a dream or a wish)
- The other day I read…
- What was the best part of your week/day?
- What’s something God’s been teaching you lately?
- What’s your funniest memory from when we were dating?
- Tell me something I don’t know about you yet.
- What is the most scared you have ever been?
- What was your worst injury?
- If you could spend 24 hours doing anything in the world, what would it be?
- My favourite memory of us is…
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
- Tell me about what you’d like to accomplish in life?
- Is there something you’d like to do, but you’re too scared to try it?
- What was the happiest you’ve ever been?
- I wish I had learned to…
- What was your first impression of me? Was it accurate?
Now, what are you waiting for? Go, plan a date with your husband and write it on the calendar!