Members of the Connection Team have the important privilege of engaging mums in meaningful conversations that lead to deeper relationships.
Here are some tips for leading great discussions.
Aim for meaningful discussion.
- Meaningful discussion has purpose.
- It engages everyone.
- It impacts the participant.
- It moves from light, get-to-know you to deeper, more spiritual.
Create a welcoming place.
- You are the first impression. You set the tone.
- Smile, have some energy, acknowledge attendees by name.
- Be a good listener. Engage everyone.
- Redirect the conversation from those dominating.
- Ask the quietest person, “What do you think?”
Create a safe place.
- Establish some ground rules.
- Maintain a supportive environment – no bashing or gossip.
- Keep it confidential.
- Encourage grace-filled conversations, even with hot-button topics.
- Consider security – both in-person and online.
Create an honest space.
- Be transparent and vulnerable.
- Be willing to go deeper yourself.
- Listen well.
- Ask follow up questions.
Create a place they want to come back to.
- Incorporate fun – like games and theme days.
- Be personal.
- Be flexible.
- Connect between meetings.
Sarah Ferraro and Jennifer Iverson
Resources for Australian Connection Team Leaders:
- All About MOPS Online Leader Training (org.au/courses/all-about-mops) You will need a personal password – if you don’t have one, check in with Jodi on firstname.lastname@example.org
- Share Jesus – evangelism workbook that equips every Christian woman to share her story (from MOPShop Online)
- Supplementary Documents (from Leader Downloads) which includes the following articles:
- Five Simple Steps for Effective Table Leading – Document 24
- Helping Mums in Conflict – Document 25
- Supporting a Mum in Crisis – Document 26
- Supporting a Mum whose Child has Special Needs – Document 27
- Supporting Discussion Leaders – Document 28
- Connecting Through Mentoring – Document 29
- Tips for Writing a Mentor Talk – Document 30