I found something I wrote last year when one of my sons was attending an Annual Leadership Conference day with his year 7 school class. It got me thinking about leadership.
Leadership and I, we’ve been kicking around together for a while now. It has been present my whole life. I also watched my parents be Leaders (and have our family name dragged through the mud for the privilege).
Leadership: it might not be what you think it is.
People go on about leadership too much sometimes and speak of it in such a way that it gives an incorrect impression of what it truly is.
- It’s not a lot of fun at times (and I’m from fun country), and it requires bravery – which is not the absence of fear, just the decision to do something even when you still feel scared. I’ve struggled big time with fear and sometimes it’s lonely (fun, did I mention I like to have fun?).
I’m also married to a Leader. That, right there, is grounds for a support group 😀. Women of strength allow their husbands and others to lead, am I right?! That’s a tough gig at times. If you don’t believe me just look at the Lady in this picture. (just kidding, I have no idea what was going on there).
- Being a Leader takes guts. The good thing is you already have them – even if you didn’t know.
- There are different styles of leadership. Some of them are rubbish and shouldn’t be emulated.
- Leadership is within reach of every human being. Being a Leader is actually being a servant. If you’re doing it right, you are serving.
Think of a triangle. Put the Leader at the top pointy bit. Now turn the triangle upside down. See that pointy bit at the bottom – that’s where the Leader sits, at the bottom of the organisation they are trying to lead. That is the style of leadership I subscribe to. When you find an organisation like that, go and hang out with the Leader.
- Leaders need to learn healthy decision making and the ability to delegate. This is so they can stay alive, and have friends.
- The thing to remember is that ANYONE can be a Leader. You are probably leading somewhere in your life without realising it.
- Being a Leader is about being willing to stand up for what you know is right, and caring for and protecting those in your leadership.
That’s enough from me. I need lunch. A Leader’s gotta eat y’know 😉